Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Halloween bleach stencil shirt

So I was looking for shirts for the girls for Halloween that were free of peace signs, tacky logos and silly sayings so I searched online for some ideas on making our own.  Usually I would have no problem with sewing on an applique and calling it good, but I wanted something "different".  I came up with this.  Feel free to experiment and have fun.

Supplies you will need
* black shirts ( $1.97 clearance at Walmart)
* empty spray bottle ( $1.00 at Dollar Tree)
* freezer paper, it comes in a roll like wax paper ( grocery store $2.99)
* bleach
* cardboard scraps
* marker, to draw design onto freezer paper
* iron
* scissors

Total project cost minus the supplies I already had $8.40 for two shirts! Sweet deal...

The first step is to trace out your design on the freezer paper with a marker.  You can trace the design also off of a coloring book, etc. I just free handed mine.  Avary wanted a ghost, and Sloan wanted a jack o' lantern.  Hudson had the short end of the stick on this one since I didn't have a black onesie :) yet...

 I cut the "stencils" out and then ironed them onto the shirt.  I used the cotton setting and make sure you trace on the paper side not the shiny side of the freezer paper.

After you iron the stencil on put the scrap cardboard onto the inside of the shirt so your spray wont bleed through to the other side of the shirt.  Take the shirts outside and they will be ready for your bleach spray. I mixed 3 parts water to 1 part bleach in the spray bottle. I made sure the spray was set on spray and not stream.  The girls loved to spray their own shirts.  I made sure they got the ghost eyes and mouth sprayed well and the jack o' lanterns also. 
Then they watched in amazement as the bleach solution turned the black to orange!!
 So cool! It takes just seconds.
 
Trust me, this is not like watching paint dry. Haha! Once the spray has dried (I waited 30 minutes) slowly peel the stencil of freezer paper away from the shirt.  And your design is revealed!
Finished product, it so so fun and easy and CHEAP!  So pretty!
 Happy Halloween!!

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome and such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What side of wax paper do you pay on shirt to iron shiny side or non shiny side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You use butcher paper not wax paper which would leave a waxy residue. Trace your design on the dull side, then iron on with the "shiny" side down. Enjoy!

      Delete