Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Kids art wall

So, I love putting up the art and worksheets the girls do but I found myself a little stuck when our new fridge is stainless steel and doesn't hold a magnet :(  ( It sure holds fingerprints though).... I needed something to cover our big wall in our dining room and wanted the art to be switched out easily.  I looked on Pinterest and found an idea that took frames and a binder clip and viola!  You are instantly set up with a wall of art :) I tweaked mine to fit our style and it turned out super cool .  Now I can display the girls projects as part of our decor :)

Here's what you will need
*Spray paint of your choice ( I chose Krylon in Matte Black) $3.47 at Walmart
*Old frames all different sizes ( I used old, you could use new but I am a upcycle gal) Goodwill $15 for 5 frames!
*needle nose pliers & butter knife ( to remove staples from frame and take out glass)
*gloves ( to protect your hands from being cut by the glass)
*old cardboard ( to lay out frames for spray painting)
*binder clips ( to hang off nail inside the frame to switch out artwork) $1.49 package of 10 at Walmart
*nails ( to hang frames on the wall)
total cost of project - $19.96 - What a SWEET price! And that's less than one new 8x10 frame!

First you need to take your glass and picture out of the frame. I had to remove staples and matting and backing, etc on the Goodwill ones I purchased. Be careful!  I would wear gloves to protect yourself from getting cut. 
                                                                            Before
                                                                           
 
After
I got some frames with great detail
 
 
I put the empty frames out on the cardboard, set aside the glass for another project or toss.  I sprayed the frames lightly with one coat of spray paint, I let them dry for 10 minutes and went back for another coat.
 
After the 2 coats of paint
I really like the Matte finish. It turned out super classy,( just like me) haha!
I hung them on the wall in no particular order. I also added a letter M that I already had to finish it off. I don't have the binder clips up yet but you would just put a nail where you want the binder clip to hang the art inside the frame.
 
Another project down, a million more to go!  Happy Crafting! 
                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment