Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Sorry Out of Candy" Halloween Sign for those little beggars on Halloween night

We ran out of candy last year, and the year before, and well... I can't honestly think of a year that we haven't!

  I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to buy $50 of candy for our trick or treat night so I came up with this sign.

Here are the supplies you will need:

scrap wood or ( I bought a craft board at HL for $1.99)

acrylic paint ( had on hand)

paint brushes ( on hand )

1/4 dauber foam circle stencil brush and a large dauber ( you can find these next to the stencil section of your craft store)

print out of the saying you want to use, I originally had , Out of Candy... ( I changed it to mind my manners...... Sorry, Out of Candy) like the sorry really matters when your telling people you don't have candy???? haha!!

pencil

assorted ribbon

drill and bit

poly spray paint to seal it all off when you are done painting it

This is the 1/4 inch Dauber and the other "foam dauber" I am not sure the size on. I love these because they make great perfect circles for polka dots.
 
 
I painted my sign base green
 
 
Once that dried ( front and back) I painted the polka dots with the foam dots in purple and orange
 
No science to this, just random placement, have fun with it :)
 
Once that has dried completely, take your pencil and your saying that you have printed out. 
 
 Turn it to the back side of the print out ( where the letters are not printed) , and rub your pencil along where your letters are on the front of the paper. ( You are creating a transfer or carbon type paper) . 
 
 Make sure you have gotten the entire saying covered on the back side.
Center the print out ( printed side facing you up) onto your dried sign and tape the corners onto the sign
 
Take your pencil and outline each letter of the saying carefully not to poke through the paper completely.  You can lift up the bottom two pieces of tape to check your work to make sure the letters are "transferring" ok.
This is a great technique that allows you to use any font imaginable online for any project you can think of. 
 I am planning on making this "transfer" technique to really good use for Christmas. ( Yes!  I said it..... Christmas!!!) it is sneaking up on us people!!!  Get your Craft-on!!
 
Once you have traced around all of your letters remove the paper printout, and paint the letters in carefully using the smallest brush known to man kind.. haha..
 
 
Spray the poly on for all weather protection and years of useabilitly ( I made up a new word!)
 
Drill one hole in each corner to hang the ribbon through and decorate with additional ribbon!
 
Check out this sweet thing!
 
Our doorbell better stop ringing once this sign goes out!  haha...
 
Last year it was past 9pm our light was out, and that didn't seem to matter :)  This sign means SERIOUS business!  ;) ( Yeah right)
 
Hope you all have a safe and fabulous Halloween!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this:) I featured it in a hint on my site today on "what to do if you run out of Halloween candy":) http://hintmama.com/2014/10/30/todays-hint-what-to-do-if-you-run-out-of-halloween-candy/

    ReplyDelete